Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Observations of a Daddy-LongLeg

...Or a Mommy Long-Leg as the case may be.
There has been a "Daddy" long-leg in our bathroom for quite some time. We've been meaning to observe it for quite some time, but we haven't gotten it down just yet. Tonight when I went to take my shower, I noticed an egg sac in HER web. She was quite still and having seen Charlotte's Web a billion or so times, I presumed her to be dead. It appeared as if she was simply having a nice siesta after her late-night snack of autumn mosquito fly for when I gently nudged her web, she quickly sprang forth to gather up her egg sac close to her body to protect her unhatched. It was rather sweet...especially for a spider! It'll be fun to watch those little things hatch--yes, even baby SPIDERS are cute, I have to admit. I will however, be containing them to observe this tender moment...as much as I appreciate what they do for me in the way of insect control, I do NOT want hundreds of baby daddy and mommy long-legs running free in my bathroom!

No comments: